All we want for Christmas is you… to get home safely to your family.
As you and your team prepare for the festive period, it can be easy to overlook safety. However, it’s crucial to ensure you and your team get home safe over the festive period.
Of course, FlexManager has a whole suite of modules that can help everyone within your organisation stay safe during the holiday season (and the rest of the year too!).
However, this article isn’t only focused on the virtues of FlexManager. Instead, it is also a message to emphasise the importance of safety in the lead up to Christmas.
Common Safety Issues at Christmas
That’s why we are going to delve into a few safety issues you or your colleagues could face while working during the holidays.
Decorations and Lights:
Use of Christmas decorations and lights on or around manufacturing and construction equipment can pose electrical and fire hazards. Ensure that any decorations or lights used are rated for outdoor use and are kept away from flammable materials.
Winter weather conditions may lead to slippery surfaces due to snow or ice.
Implement proper snow and ice removal procedures and use anti-slip materials on walkways and work areas.
Shorter daylight hours and winter weather conditions can reduce visibility.
Ensure that adequate lighting is available, especially on construction sites during early mornings and evenings.
Workers may be more distracted during the holiday season, leading to a potential increase in accidents. Emphasise the importance of staying focused on the task at hand and maintaining awareness of surrounding, particularly while working with equipment.
Holiday shopping and events may lead to increased traffic around construction sites. Implement traffic management plans to ensure the safety of both workers and pedestrians.
Cold weather can affect the performance of manufacturing and construction equipment. Regularly inspect and maintain equipment to ensure proper functioning in winter conditions.
Some construction sites may experience shutdowns during the holiday season. Implement proper procedures for securing and shutting down equipment to prevent accidents during periods of inactivity.
Alcohol and Substance Abuse:
Holiday celebrations may lead to an increased risk of alcohol or substance abuse. Enforce strict policies regarding alcohol and substance use on the construction site.
Emergency Response Planning:
Ensure that emergency response plans are in place and that all workers are familiar with evacuation procedures, especially in the event of a fire or other emergencies.
Companies should conduct regular safety meetings, provide proper training, and encourage a safety-conscious culture among workers to minimize risks during the holiday season.
Festive Safety: The Numbers
- The Red Cross says that in Canada fires are most likely to occur between December and March.
- Canadian workers compensation boards reported that 924 workers died due to work related causes in 2020.
- December 2020 saw seven workers die on construction jobsites in Ontario alone.
- The “Fatal Four” leading causes of construction deaths are falls, being struck by equipment, being caught between objects and electrocutions.
- On Christmas Eve of 2009, in Canada four construction workers were fatally injured in a tragic workplace accident.
- According to The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), around 42,000 workers get injured annually due to fall accidents in Canada.
- Approximately 70 percent of falls happen on the same level (slips and trips), while the remaining 30 percent are falls from heights.
Getting Home Safe This Christmas With Or Without FlexManager
FlexManager’s training, contractor management, risk assessment, safety observations, and toolbox talks modules ensure personnel are trained, familiar with internal processes, and equipped with the knowledge to stay safe during the holiday season.
As you prepare for a festive and safe holiday season, FlexManager’s comprehensive safety compliance modules to enhance your company’s safety standards.
Even if you’re not a FlexManager user, we urge you to not only protect your workforce but also contribute to a positive safety culture that lasts throughout the year.
Get home safe for Christmas.